Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Where Children Sleep reflects their worlds

In discussing his photo essay, Where Children Sleep, photographer James Mollison says "I found myself thinking about my bedroom: how significant it was during my childhood, and how it reflected what I had and who I was. It occurred to me that a way to address some of the complex situations and social issues affecting children would be to look at the bedrooms of children in all kinds of different circumstances."


Mollison combined compelling portraits with bedroom photos and stark, matter-of-fact bios. The contrast is immense. This is serious social controversy that not only explores worldwide lifestyle divides but combines them with detailed graphics which are fascinating and haunting at the same time.

Preview portraits from the book. And, if it intrigues you, borrow the book from The Urbana Free Library and spend time exploring how differently children live around the world. Where Children Sleep is a book you won't forget.

Questions or need help placing your hold? Call us at Adult Services, 217-367-4405, or email.

No comments: