Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The IT Crowd


I recently discovered (as in for myself to watch, not like discovering new lands for Spain) The IT Crowd [1].  I call it the "It" Crowd, while I've heard it mentioned in interviews as the I T Crowd.  Whatever you call it, it makes me laugh.

It's a British sitcom from Channel 4 that focuses on the IT department of Renholm Industries.  The series begins by introducing Jen as the new supervisor of the department, to the surprise of Irishman Roy and genius/geek Moss who have never had a boss.  Despite being set in an IT department, very few jokes feature computers, computing, etc.  There's a good bit of physical humor, plenty more dealing with dating and relationships, and so on.

The Moss character was written to be funny by merely existing. His manner and speech frequently reminds me of Jermaine from Flight of the Conchords [2], but while he's clueless and tends to take things too literally, he doesn't share Jermaine's quality of being lost in the world.  I would post a clip here featuring Moss dealing with a fire in the shared office area, but embedding has been disabled, so I recommend you check it out on YouTube [3].

1. Check out The IT  Crowd: Series 1 (or Series 2 or 3) from the library
IMDb page for The IT Crowd


2. Check out Flight of the Conchords: Season 1 (or Season 2) from the library
IMDb page for Flight of the Conchords

3. The fire clip--it helps to know that the emergency number was changed earlier in the episode to something long and convoluted.

No comments: