Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Diabetic Pastry Chef


My mother was recently diagnosed with diabetes. Her weakness, cake. Therefore, I was delighted to come across The Diabetic Pastry Chef by Stacey Harris. Filled with delicious recipes, (I have tried a few myself), and lots of tips on how to cut sugars, carbs, and even cholesterol from your favorite goodies, this book is a must have for anyone with diabetes who wants to continue to indulge their sweet tooth.
The recipes encompass breads, cakes, pies, cookies and more. Might I suggest the peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookie? Maybe you'd prefer the earl gray cake with chocolate sauce? Banana waffles? Or perhaps a sour cream apple pie sounds good with fall just around the corner?

Next to every recipe are the Nutrition Facts allowing consumers the knowledge of just how much fat, sodium, carbs, etc... are contained in each treat. And, Stacey does a wonderful job of explaining the difference between types of flours used, sugar substitutes, and discussing different aspects of controlling diabetes.

One tip my husband and I tried was to use 1/2 c plain yogurt instead of eggs and oil in our box mix brownies. We saved 119 grams of fat and 424 milligrams of cholesterol per batch. And they were delicious, tasting more like a chocolate cake.

So grab a copy for yourself and see just how sweet it is!

No comments: