Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Of Possible Interest to Anglophiles...

A Channel 4 crime mystery thriller trilogy!  A thrillogy!  I'm brilliant--hire me, Hollywood marketing firm [1].

I've ordered the Red Riding Trilogy [2] this week--it's not here yet, but you can request it.  These are films about the police search for the Yorkshire Ripper [3], based on novels by David Peace [4], which have also been recently ordered.

Each of the three films is by a different director and takes the perspective of a different character--listen, I haven't seen these movies yet, but I want to.  To get a better idea of what they're about, I'll refer you to Ebert's 4-star review [5] of the trilogy.  If you don't like reading, but are somehow still reading this post, perhaps you'd like to watch the trailer, conveniently located below this very paragraph.




1. A brief Google search for "thrillogy" reveals that I am not the first to come up with the term.  My star-studded dreams are crushed.

2. Check out The Red Riding Trilogy from the library
IMDb page for Red Riding: In the Year of our Lord 1974
IMDb page for Red Riding: In the Year of our Lord 1980
IMDb page for Red Riding: In the Year of our Lord 1983


3. Wikipedia entry on Peter Sutcliffe

4. Peace is also the author of Tokyo Year Zero, The Damned Utd., and Occupied City.  We also own the film adaptation of The Damned United.

5. Roger Ebert's review of The Red Riding trilogy

No comments: