Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day 2008

A National Wildlife Foundation blogger offers a checklist of activities you might do to celebrate Earth Day. Here's one example:
Turning Off [Your] Computer to Walk Outside: There's so much noise during the day that I'm feeling the need to find a quiet place and listen to sounds that don't resemble a keyboard. I'm sure most people aren't online as much as I am, but I truly feel recharged when I'm away from plugs that feed my laptop. And since it's Earth Day I'm going to try and make it longer than just a green hour.
Other ideas can be gleaned from publications like The Green Book by Elizabeth Rogers and Thomas Kostigen and The Lazy Environmentalist by Josh Dorfman. Or maybe you've not yet seen An Inconvenient Truth, available on DVD.

Illinois Lt. Governor Pat Quinn yesterday commended the city of Urbana for being a charter member of the Tree City program and for other earth-conscious projects.
Tree City USA has four main requirements, which includes spending $2 per capita on trees, establishing a tree board or having a city arborist, celebrating Arbor Day and having a tree ordinance. The tree ordinance guides the community on how to care for their trees ... Urbana has 120 trees per linear mile of street, making it one of the most densely populated cities for trees in the country.

No comments: