Friday, May 4, 2012

Mary wt's three book challenge

Finding time to read for fun can be tough nowadays. There's just so much going on. So when I get a chance to hunker down and devour a book, I usually grab a title similar to one I've enjoyed in the past. For me, that's a romantic suspense thriller, an exciting mystery, fascinating true crime, a juicy biography, or just some quirky volume of nonfiction that's caught my interest.

Last month I deliberately decided to read something different, and selected three books I normally wouldn't consider--a humorous fantasy, a nonfiction graphic novel, and a picture book for children.  And I LIKED them!

So here's my challenge to all of you out there--take a chance and read outside your comfort zone. That is, select three promising titles from genres you wouldn't normally choose and try them out. If you're not sure what might appeal to you, talk to one of us librarians. We select the books for the library and know quite a lot about them. We can help you discover a different type of read that will fit your mood and interests. Just drop by, or call us at 217-367-4405.

The Urbana Free Library has an expansive collection of novels and readable nonfiction of all types. Take my challenge and broaden your reading horizons. You may discover a whole new group of books that are just perfect for you!

Join me in the challenge. Here are my three books. What are yours? I'd love to hear about them.


Darkroom: a Memoir in Black & White  
Lila Quintero Weaver

Striking, almost photographic images, illustrate this autobiographical graphic novel.

Weaver comes to Alabama as a child with her middle-class Latino family from Argentina in the early 60s and encounters a world where differences matter.






 



 


It's a Dog's Life 

Michael Morpurgo ; illustrated by Patrick Benson

Russ, a border collie, tells us about his life on the farm in this beautifully illustrated  British picture book.












Good Omens

Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Gaiman and Pratchett pooled their talents and created their own personal and humorous account of the coming Armageddon. 

This unique, multi-layered view of angels searching for the missing antichrist at the end of the world may not be the fantasy novel for everyone. But it's a tale well told, with allusions, many characters, and an underlying sense of satire.


No comments: