Friday, June 18, 2010

Play Dead


Before I begin, I'd like to note that it is not April 1st.  Also, I could get into trouble for creating a fake record in the Lincoln Trails Library System catalog, although I should check on that as it could be a good prank...  Just so you know, I'm not joking about this.  Ryan Brown's Play Dead does exist.

It's the story of a high school football team that goes to play their hated rivals.  When the bus crashes and all but the QB die, he suspects the rival team of intentionally causing the accident.  Not about to let them win, he seeks out a lady with some black magic skills to bring the team back to life, rendering them undead.  They will play their rivals, but they will go to hell if they lose.  I'm still not joking.

Not only does the book exist, but two--TWO--book trailers exist.  For the uninitiated, book trailers are like movie trailers, but for books.  There are awards for book trailers, where the two or three people who care get together and pick their favorites.  I am joking about the two or three people.

I submit as further evidence of the existence of this book the first of two trailers.  It's short and not gross or scary.



Exhibit B is the second of two trailers, which is longer (3 mins) and slightly disgusting (spurting blood and portable body parts). 



I'm terribly sorry for exposing you to this.  It's even below my admittedly low standards and taste (I'm slightly offended by the voodoo lady, but I shouldn't be, as zombies are created by voodoo practitioners--George Romero gets an F).  This was all just too weird not to share.  On the upside, when this wins the National Book Award, you can say you heard it here first.

No comments: