Thursday, December 3, 2009

Saga of the Swamp Thing

I'd been curious about Alan Moore's Saga of the Swamp Thing, but not interested. I couldn't figure why I'd want to read about some bog monster terrorizing people or whatever he does. I'd seen the pictures of the moss-draped creature with the odd, cut-off nose. I was sure he was some Toxic Avenger type of character that I wouldn't enjoy reading about.

Something changed my mind and I grabbed volume one of the Saga. I haven't found any absorbing books lately, so I've been reading graphic novels for a change of pace. Saga was on the shelf, and a variety of influences resulted in my picking up the book. Alan Moore has a fantastic resume, including From Hell, The Watchmen, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and Promethea. Also, Neil Gaiman has noted in many forewords and introductions that Swamp Thing paved the way for his reinvention of the Sandman character, and I love The Sandman as well as Gaiman's novels. So, I thought I really ought to give Swamp Thing a try.

I wasn't let down, either. Volume one collects the first several comics of the series, and a few of these are devoted to reinventing the character. Swamp Thing was a scientist who had an accident and wound up turning into a monster. Moore's character learns new information about his origins, and there's even a few issues that hopefully foreshadow future stories--criminal scientists, demons, and malevolent beings. This character has the potential for some epic stories, and I can't wait for subsequent volumes of the Saga to arrive at the library. If you've read the stories already, please don't tell me anything about what's to come. I'm looking forward to reading them for myself.

No comments: