Monday, June 22, 2009

The All-Knowing BookSeer

There aren't many blogs that I like to read on a daily basis. One of these few is Lifehacker. They post about all sorts of fun things you can do or use to, um, "hack" your life. Free software, web services, and even new ways to use household objects to potentially improve your life. Anyhow, this post is not about Lifehacker. It's about BookSeer, which I found out about in a Lifehacker post.

BookSeer is a really just a fun way to find books using a method you may already use. BookSeer asks you to simply type in the author and title of the last book you enjoyed, and it offers other books you may like using the recommendation services from Amazon and LibraryThing. I know what you're thinking. Why not just go search the book you read on Amazon and look at the recommendations there, right? Well, Amazon doesn't have a speech bubble coming out of a full screen sized woodcut portrait of some guy I'll probably be embarrassed not to have recognized. Also, you type in the speech bubble and the guy's got a huge beard. Where's your beard, Amazon?

The full Lifehacker post also links to other sites you can use to find new books to read, and they even surprised me by noting some I hadn't visited myself.

No comments: